Forum Replies Created
Sorry for the delayed response. I am getting ready to move out of the country to start a new job and have not solved the issue on my homebrew game frame. I am not sure when I will get back to it, but I am sure I will at some point. Sorry I cant be of more help at the moment.
No worries, I am traveling now so I likely won’t get to testing this for a few weeks.
This is great info.
cant wait to see what else you make!
well, no level shifter, the SD reader and RTC both say they are 3v and 5v compatible, perhaps i should run them off the line that supplies the LED strip at 5v and get the power draw off the Teensy.
I will pickup an extra microSD tomorrow and test that as well..
i commented out all the calls to read IR, and anecdotally it seems to have helped, but the issue persists but seemingly diminished. I actually dont even have the include file for the IR called any more just to be sure. Silly neopixels concern me with the timing requirements.
of note: the issue never appears when in the setup menu, but does occur when the logo loads.
I will continue to troubleshoot.
I cant tell you how much I appreciate the help.
could the IR code be interfering with the timing of the Neopixels and shifting the signal enough to do something like this?
Here is a longer video
Also, I just thought of something, I dont have the status LED, or IR receiver on their respective pins, could that have have some floating logic that would interfere with it the code in this way? Perhaps that is rhetorical, I will try hooking them up tomorrow morning and see if that has any impact.
I should have mentioned this artifact even occurs when loading the gameframe logo.
i will try to get a longer video up on youtube and link here later tonight.
also, just rand the strand test adafruit example program, all seems well with the neopixels. (whew)
tested the RTC, that responded
tested the SD card, that worked
from reading on the forums i suspected the SD may be the culprit, i reformatted the card and copied over the data again.
it doesn’t happen on the same frame every time, it seems random, but quite frequent.
I could try a different SD card. I got a quite cheap one, my assumption was the read and write speeds don’t need to be anything super fast, but this one was brand new this morning.
perhaps there is an issue with the micro SD board. I will see about getting my hands on another one of those as well, then i should be able to test with a new SD board and a new card.
perhaps I have a damaged neo-pixel somewhere, but it seems to affect the LEDs closer to the signal start more frequently than the ones at the end of the string. Perhaps this logic doesn’t actually apply.
sweet, your the best!
I will post up some pics when i get this thing together.
As i was wrapping my head around the code (poorly) i had a couple questions that are likely trivial for someone more knowledgeable than me.
1. I don’t see any pin definitions for the SD card to for the MOSI and MISO (data I/O) am i missing something or can they just be on pins 11 and 12 of the Teensy 3.2?
2. I read the Teensy 3.2 has a built in RTC, does this mean i can omit the external RTC? if needed, can the RTC’s SDA and SCL just be on pins 16-17 or 18-19? how does it know where you have hooked these things up if they aren’t defined in the code?
boy the teensy platform crams a lot of capability in a super tiny form factor. I had never even heard of this thing before I started this project.
I apologize if my questions seem silly, but I am learning so I often have silly questions.
I will keep reading and scouring the interweb for clarity on this, but I really appreciate any help from anyone willing to take the time. 🙂
Awesome! that did the trick. So after reading a bit about the APA102C leds it makes me wish i didnt have 1000 WS2812 leds lying around. Looks like an APA102 that is RGBW would be an awesome solution.
remote high five for the help!
I had to mess around with the version of sdfat I used but it seems to compile now.
looks like tomorrow is breadboard fun day!
BTW, I am excited to see what you do with the VR pinball stuff! looks like lots o fun!
thanks so much
ahh, well then i should likely revert to gameframe 1 code and ditch the IR control.
no biggie. I will work on getting that up and running as it seem like it will be more straight forward. Then i can tinker with the version 2 with the IR stripped out.
thanks a ton for the info and pointing the way!
Keep making awesome stuff!
I will be sure to post some pics when / if i get it working.
if you like checking out fun projects, particularly ones full of LEDs here is my last one. I spent a year on the designing, 3D printing, and painting. My buddy did the code for raspberry pi, which is what got me into learning the code end of all this.
oh, that is great, seems like that is going to last longer than I will then.
thanks for the update and also for helping me learn.
also keep kicking a*s on tested, i love it!
well i cannot for the life of me get a gif, in a public folder, on my google drive to post here.
Here are some references.
Once I get the basic unit working I will start experimenting with this, but it may be some weeks as i am making my game frame from scratch so I can learn as much as possible as I go. Seems the thing that makes the most sense would be to split up the frequencies
from between 50hz and 20khz(seems to be the response of the adafruit mic) to make the 16 bands.
Lets do this! it will be a ton of fun!