Home Forums Game Frame General Discussion Windows Simulator

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Erno
    Participant

Hi,

I am implementing a Game Frame Windows Simulator that can also run as a screensaver.

This way I can use the tablet I use as an (audio) Media Player to show the 8-bit pixel art

I have got 2 questions:
    1. What is the default Hold value?
    2. Wouldn’t it be more practical to play the animations in alpha numerical order instead of order that they were added? That way it is much easier to change the order or insert an animation in between.

Thanks!

Nick
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be more practical to play the animations in alpha numerical order instead of order that they were added?

If I remember hearing Jeremy correctly, this was a limitation on the library used when reading from the SD card, as space on the ROM was super tight (why we didn’t have both clock and game on the original GF).

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Yeah, the SdFat library doesn’t support any concept of alpha numeric sorting but I’d certainly do it on PC since it comes for free.

The default hold value is 200.

Erno
    Participant

Thanks! As soon as I have a working app I will make it available.

Erno
    Participant

Standard sorting of the file names gives a new problem: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 sorts like: 0, 1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Should I assume that bmp files only have a numerical name (before the .bmp)?

If so, I could parse the numbers and sort them by number.
    If not, if e.g., pac1.bmp, pac2.bmp, pac3.bmp etc. is also allowed, I might need to implement some magic sorting.

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Yes, with the exception of files in /00system, BMP files must have numerical names, starting with 0.bmp. Feel free to peruse the source code.

https://github.com/Jerware

Things get a little more complicated once you start supporting CONFIG.INI though, and the methods of controlling the sequence of folders. You may not want to go that deep.

Erno
    Participant

Ah, that is very useful, thank you.

(I already implemented the config file mechanism, that was fairly easy to do)

Patrick
    Participant

Not sure since I don’t know all the details but you should be able to append extras zeros to the front so “1” would be “001” and “10” would be “010”. I think the sorting would then work.

Erno
    Participant

Yes, prefixing with zeros might be a solution after determining the maximum length of the file names. However in C# it is trivial to sort based on the file names parsed to integers:

var sortedByValue = fileNames.OrderedBy(fileName => int.Parse(fileName).Select(fileName => fileName);

boris
    Participant

Grüße aus Deutschland!

Any progress on the Windows Simulator? I have two pretty useless Windows 8 inch tablets lying around that I would love to convert to emulated Game Frames…

Boris

Erno
    Participant

Hi Boris,

Yes, sorry about that. I have a working version. It still requires some cleaning up and then I will make it available.

boris
    Participant

Please, don’t feel sorry! I am thankful that you have not abandoned this project.

All the best, Boris

boris
    Participant

Hello Erno,

I hope you are doing fine and will find the time to get the emulator for Win10 in a releasable state soon.

All the best from Germany, Boris

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.