Home Forums Game Frame Game Frame Art Gallery Train Clock Idea

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Digital Nemesis
    Participant

Here is a image of a European train station clock I put together that I was going to animate.

The trick is just starting the animation at the time the clock starts and should have a fully functioning clock right?

Let me know if there is any interest and if I should animate this together?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Digital Nemesis
    Participant

Here is a file that has all the time in 5 min increments and separate Hour, Minute and Second hands to get Game Frame to look like above.

Changed background and minute hand width.

Digital Nemesis
    Participant

Changed it again. Placing hand positions more consistent.

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

I’m a little confused. In the first column of your image (hour), is that the minute hand pointing straight up to 12:00? If so, it looks different than in the MINS column (two pixels wide instead of 1). I’m also not sure how you differentiate between the hour and minute hands, since they’re both single pixels and look to be the same length.

I think a better approach would be to write code to draw the clock in layers; first background, then hour hand, then minute, then second. You could do what transparent GIFs do, and assign a single color as “transparent” that just doesn’t get drawn. Then just redraw the whole scene every second. That’s basically what the digital clock is doing, but it draws digits from left to right and doesn’t require transparency.

In your example, I think the clock looks great though. Way better than any analog experiments I came up with.

Digital Nemesis
    Participant

The hour hand is 2 pixels thick and minute hand is 1 pixel thick and one pixel longer.

Starts at 12:00 o’clock but would probably have to animate the clock every at 5 second intervals and create clock hands for each minute then.

Will see what I can do.

What does Grey look like on Game Frame? Does it show up well?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

It’s just that in your graphic, your HOURS column has the hour hand pointing to 12:00 in every row, but in your MINS and SECS columns, the hands point to every 5 minute interval. Shouldn’t the HOUR column have just the hour hand pointing to every 5 minute interval (i.e. every hour)? If you did that, you’d have all of the elements for the layered approach.

You’d also need a special firmware that redraws the clock every 5 seconds based on the real-time clock chip. Currently sequencing of animation frames (and between animation folders) is handled by the much less accurate internal Arduino clock (millis function). If you’re making a clock, you definitely want to tie into the RTC chip. I’d be happy to help with this.

michael.alm
    Participant

I dig the look of it!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.