Home Forums Game Frame Wi-Fi Adapter Latest Firmware (20161112): Improved Color Accuracy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

The latest Wi-Fi Adapter firmware includes a major code change to the way brightness is handled. The LEDs used on Game Frame are called APA102, which include native dimming capability. Previously, all dimming was handled by the LED library (FastLED) which essentially sent darker color codes to the LEDs the dimmer you made the display. Now, the LEDs receive the original colors and handle dimming natively.

The result is superior color depth represented across all brightness levels, especially apparent at lower levels. Previously you might have noticed that some animations had dark details crush to black at the lowest brightness setting — this is no longer the case. Also, if you had any movies encoded for Game Frame (TRON!), you might have noticed a similar issue where they looked best at full brightness. Now they look equally good at any brightness level.

In short, colors are far more accurate in all cases and everyone should install this firmware using the same process used during setup. As always, let me know if you discover any problems!

Patrick
    Participant

That works beautifully! My “go to” example is the “dotsnake” and I can see everything even at lowest brightness.

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

This feature is officially disabled by default in the latest firmware (20161201) due to numerous reports of LEDs not adhering to the dimming commands. I even discovered a panel at home with this problem. The feature appears to be half-baked by the LED manufacturer, and is unsupported by the LED library I use.

That said, if you want to try this totally unsupported feature, you can add the following line to your WIFI.INI file on your microSD card inside 00system/wifi. Just make sure it appears somewhere beneath [network].

apabright = true

rolf
    Participant

After the Update 0.6.0 the toggle menu button in the browser is not working. i am the only one?

rolf
    Participant

dont know why, now it is working again. i did several reboots and power cuts before i posted it.

rolf
    Participant

in the same contex i found an odd thing. if you toggel the light in the menu not all stages are shown in the bulp propperly. Stage 4 (as the bar for stage 4 in the bulp) is not show in the bulp even the light setting is changed. (even after restart 😉

rolf
    Participant

and my second Frame with the new Firmware does not have this Problem. Puzzeled.
    But nothing that has to be fixed. Just wanted to mention it.

this Video Shows what i mean what is the faulty Level 4 in the bulp.

rolf
    Participant

sorry for writing so much…
    and when i am at Level 4 i cant open the menu. thats why i was thinking in the first place the menu is not working. it is only when the light Level is set to 4, strange

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Hey Rolf….. I can’t reproduce this. Can you try swapping the SD cards on your Game Frames to see if that’s the root of the cause?

rolf
    Participant

thank you for your tip, i put an old backup in and the gameframe is fine. so it must be something on the sd Card. perhaps i can find out what it is, otherwise i will make a new sd Card. thanks a lot Jeremy

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Seems like that brightness graphic is corrupted. Likely a sector or the SD went bad. I’d format FAT32 and copy over the contents of the good SD.

rolf
    Participant

i did excactly that. formated and put back a backup from yesterday. works fine now with the same Card. Next time i know what i try first 🙂
    i uploaded some art today and did the last Firmware upgrade, perhaps something went wrong on the sd Card during this processes.
    thank you again

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Wi-Fi Adapter’ is closed to new topics and replies.