I plugged the chip into my desktop Win10 PC via USB. Had no issues getting Photon app to work, connected to the chip, got it flashing an LED in 5 mins. Went to the “Game Frame WIFI Device Manager”, selected my chip. I had downloaded the most recent firmware:
Selected firmware, update. The device manager said it said it would restart, but I left it for about 10 minutes, no change. I figured it must have finished so unplugged it, slotted it into the GF and….nothing. Power on/off, a small scatter of LED’s would randomly light up.
Eventually figured out the firmware had not finished installing so the chip went into safe mode. Knowing nothing about this stuff I went down the rabbit hole of trying to enter DFU mode, re-flash firmware, reset public keys, nodeJS command line, Zadig, CMD prompt photon codes etc etc
Long story short, after 10 hours I got it back to fresh state. I assumed the USB cable I’d used was the fault, so used one I’d read was ok (XB1 pro controller braided cable). I selected the most current FM again, and…safe mode…again.
Took 10 mins to follow same steps to recover the chip. This time I tried the next most recent firmware:
Flashed in a few seconds, restarted. I unplugged USB cable, slotted chip into my GF, and bam! It’s working perfectly.
I don’t get what happened, I don’t see any complaints about the current firmware, so no idea why I only had success with (T-1) release.