Home Forums Game Frame General Discussion Frosted cover for a pitch black room?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ohmikegoodness
    Participant

I would love to see a frosted cover to dim the gameframe.

I’ve been trying to use my gameframe as a clock at night, and found it way too bright on the lowest setting. I tried covering it with a t-shirt and that was still too bright, I think a really frosted cover would do the trick!

Maybe I could make my own…

But is there a way to really lower the brightness to SUPER DIM for a pitch black room?

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Interesting! I can certainly provide that ability, but it would be easiest to implement using the new Wi-Fi Adapter. Assuming you have the new Game Frame (not the Kickstarter version), have you considered picking one of those up?

ohmikegoodness
    Participant

Mine is on the way!!! So I would be able to control the brightness in a way that would let me go dimmer than normal? 🙂

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Oh, great! Yes, we just need to figure out how to implement it. Would you like to send a special text message to your Game Frame whenever you want the ultra low setting? Or do you want to assign a new permanent level to the lowest brightness setting? Which would work best for you? Or any other ideas?

ohmikegoodness
    Participant

OH THE POSSIBILITIES! 😀

Those are both delightful ideas! I would he happy with either, honestly.
    If we could text a percentage of total brightness, that would be cool too!

Thanks for taking the time to read my posts…

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Texting percentage of full brightness is interesting. Let’s go with that one. Keep in mind, you’ll also be able to automate this using IFTTT time of day actions. I’ve already setup a template for changing the brightness, and I’ll share another later that uses this new feature you’ve requested.

https://ifttt.com/p/jerware/shared

Some other things to keep in mind — any new brightness commands will overrule the custom brightness, as will a power cycle. And I can’t stress how important a strong Wi-Fi signal is. 🙂

I’ll get on it this weekend. Follow up here when your adapter arrives and we’ll give it a shot.

ohmikegoodness
    Participant

Great!!! Thank you SO MUCH!!! You rock. Super excited about setting a schedule for this via wifi!

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

I had some spare time tonight so the feature is in the last GitHub commit. Installing that firmware is part of the setup process, so you don’t need to do anything special.

Once you’re up and running, activate the “Control Game Frame with SMS” recipe over on IFTTT and then send the message “brightness 50%” (or “b 50%” for short). Things get a little weird below 10%, with some colors disappearing to complete black, but see what works best for you and your environment. Let me know how it goes!

P.S. You can automate this by using the “Schedule Game Frame Brightness” recipe. Just replace the 0-7 field with a percentage. Call it a hidden feature. 🙂

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Have you received your Wi-Fi Adapter? Curious how this solution works for you.

ohmikegoodness
    Participant

Hello Jeremy!

I’m happy to say, this is awesome. I have installed all your recipes, and I’m loving this feature!!! I was able to get it down to about 2% using the colored numbers. The second hand disappears though, I think I’m going to want to change that to another bright color!
    This is super awesome, and again, THANK YOU

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Try the latest firmware! The new brightness code is a real improvement across the board and should allow you to get some really dim results with the % feature.

Adam
    Participant

I updated to the latest firmware (20161112) and have an issue where one pixel is way brighter than the others. It’s not stuck. It is the correct color; it’s just brighter. I went back to the 20161028 firmware and the issue goes away.

Has anyone else experienced this? Attached is a picture of what I’m talking about.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Hm.. It’s possible that the native brightness feature doesn’t work on that one LED. I’m happy to replace the LED for you but you’d have to send it to me for surgery. Otherwise, if you’re happy with the previous firmware and using the software brightness control, there’s nothing else that changed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.