Home Forums Game Frame Game Frame Art Design Tools Graphic Conversion Tool (gfx2gf)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

I spent the evening writing this Windows Batch file (see OS X port below!) that converts just about any graphic to Game Frame. It requires ImageMagick, so make sure you have that first:
    http://www.imagemagick.org/

(I installed the latest ImageMagick-…-Q16-x64-dll.exe with the defaults, and it worked fine.)

Then download the batch file here:
    https://www.ledseq.com/downloads/gfx2gf_1.8.zip

Drop the batch file into a folder with some random graphics. Drag a graphic onto the batch file, and poof! It should make a folder ready to copy to Game Frame.

A few cool features:

– Works with just about any image type
    – Downsizes images larger than 16×16 with resampling
    – Animated GIFs are converted to filmstrips. A CONFIG.INI is automatically generated with a hold value (framerate) identical to the first frame of the animated GIF.
    – Converts videos too!

Let me know how it works for you…

EDIT 8/20/2014: Updated to v1.1; added automatic preview .GIF creation and better support for file names with spaces.
    EDIT 8/23/2014: Updated to v1.4; added support for long videos! Drop any video file onto the batch and transfer entire movies to the Game Frame.
    EDIT 9/11/2014: Here’s an OS X port by forum member Garrett!
    EDIT 5/24/2016: Updated to 1.7; added optional nearest neighbor resize and square crop. It asks for your preference and you must type Y or N.
    EDIT 11/4/2016: Updated to 1.8; support for ImageMagick Version 7.

The Tim
    Participant

Cool! I tried it out on a few of the crazy hex gifs here. Results posted in the art gallery forum.

TefaTBob
    Participant

Any love for OSX users?

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Nothing but love! I wouldn’t know where to begin though. Perhaps someone with Mac expertise can assist?

EDIT: Garrett made one: https://github.com/ghyde/gfx2gf

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

By the way, this script will also convert video files. For now you have to stay under 2000 frames, but if there’s interest I can work on adding support for longer videos to the script.

The first 250 frames of the TRON trailer (full trailer in the ZIP):
    TRON Trailer

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

I added support for long videos. Well, you really shouldn’t go above 196000 frames, but that’s over 2 hours of 24fps film. What happens when you go over the limit? I haven’t tried it. 🙂

PylonSquelch
    Participant

Thanks for the conversion tool Jeremy! I love the GameFrame and have finally started tinkering with it now that summer is over.

PylonSquelch
    Participant

Greetings Jeremy,

I’ve tried the gfx2gf converter tool you made. I’m having problems with longer files, I tried to cnnvert a 18.6MB, 7 min long video and keep getting a long animation issue, it only previews the first 250 frames. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

PylonSquelch

Attachments:
    Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

That’s just the animated GIF preview it generates. The folder should have all of the frames, ready to play on Game Frame.

PylonSquelch
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your superfast response. As I suspected, it was human error. I neglected to change the GF settings time from 10s to infinite, then it played the whole folder.

So… Now it’s only playing from folder 0, no other folders were created in the output (see attached) files 1.bmp through 6.bmp were created along with anther config file. Should there be respective folders for each bmp file, am I missing something here?

Thanks again,

PylonSquelch

Parrsboro, NS
    Canada

Attachments:
    Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

hm… That’s not right. It looks like it didn’t execute all of the commands. Did you let the script finish until it said it was done (“Press any key to continue…”)? Odd. Can you upload the video somewhere so I can try it?

It looks like all it needs to do is create folders for each of the remaining files (1, 2, 3, etc.), copy the related file into the folder, and then rename it 0.bmp. Don’t know why that part of the script was skipped.

PylonSquelch
    Participant

Hello Jeremy,

I’ve tried to upload the video but was unable to post with that as an attachment, I re-downloaded the script and am getting the same output. Could it have to do with the fact that I checked all the boxes when installing ImageMajick?

PylonSquelch
    Participant

Here is the other file I tried to do and got the same issue, it’s a little smaller.

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Let’s move this offline until it’s solved. You can email me at jeremy at this domain. Maybe you can attach the videos to that email.

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Think I got this figured out. For whatever reason the web server changed the file EOL from Windows to Unix. I zipped up the file and it should work now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.